Elder Liches (エルダーリッチ) are powerful undead magic casters, capable of commanding lesser undead with their necromancy and casting highly destructive magic.
A monster that spawns when the corpse of an evil magic caster gains unholy life through sacrificial rituals. Due to their fearsome reputation known by the New World inhabitants, they see elder liches as the rulers of the undead and the lord of the labyrinth.
In YGGDRASIL, they were nicknamed White Counterfeiters. Monsters like these were level 30 and were ranked second among the Elder Lich family. There were other, palette-swapped monsters like these in YGGDRASIL, colloquially known as the Red Counterfeiters and the Black Counterfeiters. Moreover, if a player who is a Skeleton Mage possesses a Book of the Dead, then they can use it to ascend into an Elder Lich with specific conditions required to do so.
In the New World, certain individuals who have died prematurely would be able to spawn into an Elder Lich if their regrets are very high and deep such as was the case of Davernoc.
On the other hand, there is an infamous elder lich, who haunts the Katze Plains on a Ghost Ship that travels around the fog banks. There is also another famous one which haunts and ruled over an abandoned Castle.
An old and luxurious robe covered its body of rotting skins and bones. Holding a twisted staff adorned with gems on its end. Beneath its rotting exterior lies a pair of evil eyes brimming with intelligence. Its aura of negative energy covers its body like a thin fog, giving off a menacing atmosphere.
Unlike normal undead, an Elder Lich retains its intelligence. Thus, it's capable of complex thought. As a magic caster, the Lich's source of mana comes from negative energy power. However, it is poorly suited for melee battles. There many many different kind of liches in the Elder lich family. The lich Iguva=41 that Ainz manage to summon was only level22. While the liches working in Nazarick library were nicknamed White Counterfeiters,which were level 30 and were ranked second among the Elder Lich family. There were other, palette-swapped monsters like these in YGGDRASIL, colloquially known as the Red Counterfeiters and the Black Counterfeiters.
Known Elder Liches Edit
- Apparently, there is a ritual in the New World that allows one to become an Elder Lich, but the power to ascend or descend (depending on one's point of of view) to a lich requires the sacrifice of at least the entire population of a city.
- Khajiit was attempting to turn himself into a Lich by sacrificing the entire population of E-Rantel.
- It would be challenging to defeat for a platinum-ranked adventurer team, and relatively winnable for a mithril-ranked adventurer team.
- Elder Lich is ranked middle within the hierarchy of the Elder Lich type monsters. While as a Skeleton Mage being the lowest, Overlord being the highest.
- According to Hejinmal, when enough elder liches gather together, they begin to form a mage cabal.
- Momonga utilized the Book of the Dead to ascend into an Elder Lich.