|Eight Greed Kings|
|Light Novel||Overlord Volume 5 (Mentioned)|
Eight Greed Kings (八欲王) were legendary figures in the New World. They appeared five hundred years ago and managed to conquer the world with incredible power before succumbing to infighting.
Five hundred years ago, the Eight Greed Kings appeared and sought to conquer the whole world. During their world conquest, they met with Surshana and successfully slew the player who, according to the Theocracy teachings, died trying to defend humanity from their reign.
Some folk tellers created exaggerated tales of the Eight Greed Kings, calling them beings who stole the power of the God and ruled this world using their absolute strength. Being taller than the sky with the likenesses of dragons, the Eight Greed Kings were capable of destroying numerous countries and dominant races in particular. As a result, they wiped out most of the powerful races, like the Dragon Lords, paving way for humans to thrive and grow in strength. They were some of the few besides the Six Great Gods to spread Tier Magic further throughout the New World.
The rule of the Eight Greed Kings was surprisingly beneficial for humanity. The Eight Greed Kings treated the humans rather well, and demihumans and heteromorphics were even hunted. Even the ensuing power struggle, which resulted the weakening of all races, provided an opportunity for humanity to flourish in the vacuum.
But, in the end, their greed ended up pitting them against one another and created a sour division among them, ultimately resulting in their own demise as they perished one by one. It was for that reason that their rule, after conquering the world, was short-lived. Nowadays, most of the things they've constructed were literally destroyed, leaving only the ancient ruins that once made up their civilization. The only city left standing is under their floating castle, Eryuentiu.
After their downfall, Platinum Dragon Lord took up residence in the former guild base and took on the task of guarding their magic items to ensure no one would ever be able to misuse them. However, he did allow the members of the Thirteen Heroes to take some of the items to aid them in their battle against the Evil Deities.
The Undead King Arc Edit
- Main article: The Undead King Arc
In the New World, there were three magical items that were unimaginably powerful. One of these was left behind by the Eight Greed Kings who had conquered the world in an instant five hundred years ago.
The Men in the Kingdom Arc Edit
- Main article: The Men in the Kingdom Arc
Evileye brought up an exaggerated tale of the Eight Greed Kings while talking with Climb and Gagaran. She also talks about an extremely powerful item out of all the rest they have in their possession, which confirms the existence of 10th-tier spells.
The Ruler of Conspiracy Arc Edit
- Main article: The Ruler of Conspiracy Arc
The Eight Greed Kings were known to be immensely powerful, as they had slain most of the Dragon Lords in battle. They were also able to destroy numerous countries and went on to rule the world with their overwhelming strength, at least for a short while.
They also happened to possess a countless number of powerful items in their arsenal, which gave them the means to conquer the New World. Among their items were included the Eight Great Weapons, wielded by the kings, and their guild weapon, a sword.
Another one of these items is mentioned by Evileye, who stated that their "Nameless Book of Spells" was worth the price of a single country. Given its value, it may be a World Item. Fluder Paradyne has also stated that if he had a magic item from the Eight Greed Kings, he was certain that his Magic skills would rise by another level.
Known Members Edit
- Eight Greed Kings are the second group of YGGDRASIL players to be transported to the New World after the Six Great Gods and before the two players of the Thirteen Heroes.
- In the Web Novel, it is certain that they are YGGDRASIL players, as their city produces items which only exist on Earth, like a suit or a katana, and they owned a guild weapon.
- It is also confirmed that they can revive after death, though they become weaker and weaker after repeating the revival. This might be due to the revival penalty of YGGDRASIL.
- Also in the Web Novel, it has taken about a number of ten Dragon Lords to defeat one member of the Eight Greed Kings.
- It's stated that if the Eight Greed Kings had not attempted to dominate the world, humanity would have already been annihilated by the stronger races.