|Type||Mid Tier Undead|
|Summoner||Ainz Ooal Gown|
|Light Novel||Overlord Volume 1|
|Manga||Overlord Chapter 3|
|Anime||Overlord Episode 1|
Death Knight (デスナイト) is a level 35 monster and was one of Momonga’s favorite creatures to summon back in YGGDRASIL.
A Death Knight is a huge creature equipped with an armor made of black metal with red bloodlines engraved on it. The armor has sharp thorns everywhere and looks like an incarnation of violence. Two demonic horns emerge from the helmet, with the face being visible underneath. It has a disgusting, rotted face whose empty eye sockets are filled with hate and killing intent, glowing with a flashing red light.
Death Knights have two very important special skills. The first is the ability to attract the attacks of an enemy. The second one can be used only once, and allow the knight to always survive one lethal attack as long as it has a certain amount of HP left. Because of these two special skills, Momonga enjoyed using Death Knights as a shield.
In addition, when a death knight killed its target they would become an undead as well and immediately revive as a zombie at the place they were killed. In term of offensive power, the Death Knight is only comparable to a level 25 monster but on the defensive side it is comparable to a level 40 monster.
Its left hand holds a tower shield that covers three-fourths of its body and in its right hand a serrated sword. The sword is nearly one hundred and thirty centimeters long and coated with waves of terrifying red and black fog, agitating the surrounding like a constant heartbeat.
- In the Web Novel, the Death Knight almost won the duel that would have killed Gazef Stronoff if Ainz Ooal Gown did not step in.
- If Death Knight is summoned normally, it will cease to exist after a short time but if it is summoned in combination with a corpse, the Death Knight seems to become a permanent existence.
- One Death Knight was captured by humans from the Empire five years prior to the appearance of Nazarick.
- One of Ainz Ooal Gown's Death Knights is currently training to see if it can learn martial arts.
- In YGGDRASIL, when Ainz used his skills to create undead, they would appear out of the sky in their summoner's vicinity.
- Originally in YGGDRASIL, the Death Knight should have stayed by its summoner’s side to await their orders and attack any enemies which approached. Yet due to the difference in the New World unlike in the game, it can actually disregard their orders, launching an attack of its own accord independently.
- A guild's mercenary system that summoned creatures in exchange for YGGDRASIL currency did not allow for the summoning of Death Knights.