Angels (エンジェル) are magical beings that are summoned from another realm and a race players could choose to be. Many people believe that they are God's envoys, especially the people of the Slane Theocracy.
In the New World, humans, especially those from the Slane Theocracy, view Angels as envoys of the divine, though this topic is the subject of much debate and source of conflict between human nations. However, they are regarded as incredibly powerful magical beings that can lay waste to the land.
In YGGDRASIL, the class and power of the Angels are ranked based on the Christian celestial hierarchy. Below are a list of angels from highest to lowest in rank.
First Sphere - Heavenly Counselors Edit
Second Sphere - Heavenly Governors Edit
- Dominion Authority: A 7th tier summon.
Third Sphere - Heavenly Messengers Edit
- Principality Observation: A 4th tier Summon
- Principality Peace: A 4th tier Summon.
- Archangel Flame: A 3rd tier Summon.
- Angel Guardian : A 2nd tier Summon.
They resemble brilliant and winged humanoids, who are stoic and silent, and decorated in shining armor as well as religious robes. The common trait they all seem to share is the ability to bring a wave of hope and strength to their allies.
All angels have the ability to fly and use divine powers. Their level of power depends on their class.
Similar to demons, an angel's name hold great significance. Such as if an angel wants to show up in the New World, it has to engrave its name into that world. Therefore, they can’t use false names. Experiments show that using a false name might even cause them to disappear on the spot.
- The native tongue that the angels speak is "Enochian".
- In YGGDRASIL, there were a group of bosses called the "Ten Archangels of the Sephira." This is likely an allusion to the Sephiroth (plural: Sephirot/Sephiroth, singular: Sephirah, Sephira), the 10 Attributes or Emanations in the mystical Judaic tradition of Kabbalah through which God, the Infinite, reveals itself.
- Angels summoned by the Sunlight Scripture seem to be non sentient beings as they rely on their summoners to direct them.
- In Christian angelology, particularly from the Pseudo-Dionysian Areopagite tradition, the hierarchy of angels are ranked in three spheres. The First Sphere contains the highest ranking angels: Seraphim, Cherubim, and Ophanim, or Thrones. The Second Sphere contains mid-tier level angels: Dominions or Dominations, Virtues, and Powers. The Third contains low-level angels: Principalities, Archangels and Angels.
- In the New World, the Dominion Authority was look upon by the Sunlight Scripture as the highest-tier angels. And the only ones who were on par with them are the Six Great Gods, the Dragon Lords, Landfall, and Demon Gods.